Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Is it just me?

So Tanner has only been in school for 2 weeks now. His kindergarten teacher was only there the first 3 days. She's had a DIFFERENT substitute every single day. This has gone on for 7 school days straight. The office tells me she is out with strep throwt. Who is sick for 7 school days (that 11 if you count weekends) with strep? Well Tanner went to school yesterday and saw he had another sub. He burst into tears crying that he didn't want to go. He didn't know the lady who was teaching and he just wanted his real teacher back. I can't say I blame him. I almost started crying when I saw her too. She looked so mean! Just like that mean sub from "Miss NeilsoThn is missing" only this wasn't the same teacher in disquise. She did have painted on eye brows though. Well when I came to pick him up he I asked how his day went. He said it was horrible and their teacher yelled and them and told them they had to put their heads on their desk. Then he tried to convince me that she made them do it the whole day. I didn't buy into that, but he really was upset about her. I talked to the office and they said his regular teacher would be out the rest of this week too and that the sub with painted eye brows would be here all week. Oh what a relief. A crazy mean looking lady who yells at my sweet little tanner. Well.. I didn't make him go to school today. I'm on strike. You can't start a kindgerten class off for the year with out some kind of stability. I'm not ok with him going to be taught by different teachers every day and then having people who can walk in off the street be his subsitute. The only requirement that you need to be qualified to be a sub is to have a high school diploma. If you are working with 5 year old kids - you need to be on your way to saint hood. You can't just be any average Joe. I'd kill a room full of 25 kids that were 5 and 6. That's why I don't teach! But, I do expect the people who are teaching my little baby to be good to him and for him. Is it just me or would you feel the same way?

6 comments:

Jen Evans said...

That is crazy! I will come teach Tanner's class while I'm out there. And I will not paint on my eyebrows, but I will paint on a moustache.

Tanner is probably learning more at home than he is learning from a mean sub.

Julie said...

thats really strange. i don't blame you at all, i'd do the same. what kind of lady makes kids put their heads on their desk? what is this, 1975??

Julie and Eric said...

Hmmm... There must be something else going on with his teacher. My sister-in-law is a Kindergarten teacher and they are only allowed 7 sicks days the whole year. Then after that they aren't paid for the days that they miss. I hope for the sake of Tanner and all the children that she gets better soon. You're right stability is the best thing, and every person does things differently. It is hard for them to know what to expect.

Rowdy Rowlett's said...

well I just heard from Tanner's principal and his teacher quit. So.. now he's going to have a permenant sub until they can hire someone. The principal said most likely its going to be a while. GREAT!

Mary said...

Oh no! Okay, Tim is a substitute teacher here so all we have to do is get the school board down there to hear about how awesome he is and they'll make HIM be the teacher for the rest of the year! He'll do Taekwando presentations once a week so the kids have something to wow at, then learn in a creative way 80% of the time. The rest of the time will be spent drawing stick figures of Chloe, the class mascot and training tool. Every kid has to know how to handle a dog, right?

Clint and Jinger Miller said...

That is a horrible situation!! Just when you think life will get easier with a child in school; there is always something!! On a side note- I cannot figure out how you show on your blog when someone updates their blog. Please help me figure it out. Thanks,
Jinger